Greening your home for Dummies
Much to my ongoing chagrin, I don't live in an area where I could install my very own windmill - something about being in a 'burb, on a flight path... but I am always on the lookout for small measures that will reduce my family's footprint on the planet, and teach my son to respect the earth in the process.
That's why this article in the New York Times caught my eye: The Green Home - 5 'Must Dos' for the Green Home.
I'll steal their thunder and list the 5 steps here, but if you're interested in some great tips, I encourage you to check out the whole article!
- Turn off the energy vampires that suck energy when you're not using them.
- Reduce the amount of water your toilet uses when it flushes. (they have a great fill a 2L pop bottle and put it in the tank to displace some of the water, that way you reduce each 6L flush by 2L)
- Get an ultra low-flow shower head.
- Use a grey-water system to divert soapy water to the toilet.
- Get a programmable thermostat.
We've done some but not all of these. Every little bit counts! What are you doing to green your home? Any other suggestions?