I got this.
I did a bunch of research trying to find a replacement and downloaded a bunch of apps to my tablet and smartphone, and I'll make this easy on you: there is only one that I liked.
For one simple reason: it keeps your Reader categories.
I have curated dozens and dozens of feeds over the years and have them sorted into 20 categories in Reader. And not a single other product I tried would import them. They kindly imported all of my feeds but left the categories behind. And I have zero interest resorting all of them; that's a lot of effort and a lot of time and I wanted a solution that would import them as-is.
Before you ask, "but did you try..." here are the apps I crossed off my list:
- Google Currents
- and a bunch more.
In the end, nothing compared to Feedly.
- I can use it on desktop or Android. (Works for your iThing too)
- It's light and fast to load.
- Feedly has a magazine style look which is clean and easy to read.
- The mobile interfaces are simple with a lot of white space and I love the Flipboard-style swipe action to easily move between articles.
- The "Today" option allow me, since I curate so much content, to only parse through what's been added in the last 24 hours.
And most importantly:
With ONE CLICK.
So, if you haven't fallen in love with your own reader app yet, I suggest you high-tail it over to Feedly *right now* to import your Reader.
Because tomorrow will be too late.