Geekmas: Smarten Up Their Home With Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect
[See? This is the type of Saturday night excitement that happens when nerds marry.]
Ok, to be fair, we did need one. We couldn't cook bacon without the old one screaming at us and my gimpy elbow screaming at me for having to wave baking sheets to dissipate any tiny wisp of that might have made its way under the smoke detector.
But why Nest? Actually, the sales person at the store asked hubby the same thing. Here's why:
- When it goes off, you can wave your hand under it to tell it everything is ok and it will stop screaming.
Oh, you want more? Seriously? Because I was sold just on that feature alone.
Fine, here you go:
- It's by the same company that brought us Nest Thermostat, the smart thermostat learns your behaviours and adjusts your home temperature accordingly:
Most people leave the house at one temperature and forget to change it. So the Nest Learning Thermostat learns your schedule, programs itself and can be controlled from your phone. Teach it well and the Nest Thermostat can lower your heating and cooling bills up to 20%.
- There's an app for that. You can monitor your home from your cel phone. In fact, it will contact you when something happens.
- A non-Siri-like, human voice speaks to you to tell you what to do.
- It has a built-in CO2 monitor, which is great because that's a second device you don't need to test and maintain batteries.
- It connects to our current home automation system, Control4. Ok, not yet but it will next year. Which means we will be able to control it from our existing apps.
- It connects to Nest Thermostat, if you have one.
- It works as a nightlight (called Pathlight). Personally, I don't find it bright enough to see where I'm going on the first floor but that could be because we have a street light in front of our house.
This is definitely one of those home appliance type gifts that you might second-guess buying. But with all the geeky features, it definitely beats a toaster oven any day of the week.