|Screenshot of Spydergrrl On The Web redesign|
To be honest, there were a few reasons behind the change:
- There was dead space on the side that was really of no use to anyone, but filled with widgets that cluttered the design.
- The layout tended to bury content quickly, which isn't a great user experience for people who only visit once a week or once a month.
- To be honest, I get bored easily, and the new design had been around long enough and a new writing year is as good a reason as any for a new look.
Now, this might be an exercise in futility: those of you who read me in your feed readers or on mobile devices would never have known otherwise. But with the recent discussion about the death of readers, and the stats in my traffic logs, it would seem that there are still enough of you coming in through social platforms while on your desktops for this to be a worthwhile effort. :)
So take a look around. Here are some quick highlights:
- Cleaner look, no widgets. Items such as the social media links and Creative Commons License statement are now on the About page.
- Endless scrolling: no need to use the categories to catch up on the backlog; just keep scrolling.
- Fancy "wipe" effect: blog posts open over the magazine-style homepage. Click the "X" in the corner to close the post and return to the list of articles. (oooh, aaaah)
- For now, there is no change to the mobile version of the site, or the feeds for that matter. If you never visit the blog, your life will be unaffected by these changes. (Although, aren't you just a little bit curious to check them out now?)
- And for those of you who are wondering: this is a straight-up dynamic Blogger template, with some CSS edits.
Got any thoughts? Comments? Do you prefer to use a reader, mobile version or the full site? Let me know what you think!